Spicy Clam Chowder
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Makes: 6-8 servings
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs. frozen (unshelled) clams
- 3 cups boiling fish or chicken stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 medium potatoes, cubed (about 2 ½ cups)
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tsps. hot paprika
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 hot red chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- leaves from 1 small bunch of parsley, chopped
Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet, add the bacon and sauté until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Heat the remaining oil in the rinsed skillet, add the onion, potatoes, celery, paprika, chili and clams then sauté for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are partially tender. Add the bacon stirring gently. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes to ensure the flavours are well blended.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve.