Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 14 oz. dried spaghetti or spaghettini
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes, halved and seeded
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup tomato passata or tomato juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- leaves from 1 large bunch of fresh basil
- freshly grated parmesan to serve
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil, ready to add the pasta when the vegetables are half cooked.
Put the eggplant cubes into a glass bowl. Add 1 tsp. salt and set aside while you cook the tomatoes.
Pack the tomatoes, cut side up, on an oven tray. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pour over 2 tbsps. of the oil. Roast in a preheated oven at 450 degrees until aromatic. (about 10 minutes)
Cook the pasta for 8-12 minutes, depending on type.
Drain the eggplant and pat dry with paper towels. Heat ¼ cup of the olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring over high heat, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, tomato juice, garlic and black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, then tear up the basil leaves and stir through. Test the pasta for doneness and strain in a colander.
Return pasta to the saucepan and toss in the remaining olive oil.
Divide pasta between bowls and spoon over sauce. Top with freshly grated parmesan and serve.