Mini Pizzas with Assorted Toppings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Stand: 2 hours
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Serves: 8
- Makes: 32-40
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tbsps. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Toppings: (loads of variations!)
- 1 cup tomato sauce or Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup wilted fresh spinach or arugula or Roasted Red Peppers
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives or capers
- ¼ cup canned anchovies or toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, drained and cubed
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped, or Jalapeno Stuffed Olives, or Garlic Stuffed Olives
- 1-2 tbsps. fresh rosemary, sage or thyme, chopped
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
To make the dough, put the flour, yeast and salt into a food processor. Pulse briefly to sift the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil and 1 ½ cups of lukewarm water. Process in short bursts for 15 seconds to form a soft mass, not a ball.
Transfer to a floured work surface, then knead by hand for 2 minutes, slamming down the dough 2-3 times. Put the dough into a clean, oiled bowl. Turn it over once to coat with oil. Put the bowl of dough into a large plastic bag, seal, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1½ hours in a warm place.
Put the dough on the work surface and punch it down with oiled hands. Divide into 2. Pat and roll out each piece to a circle about 1/8” thick. Push dimples into it with your fingers.
Using a circle cookie cutter or glass jar (2-3” in diameter), cut out about 16 pizza shapes. Set them on a baking tray. Top each one with ½ - 1 tsp. of sauce, or for an even richer flavour, use sun-dried tomato pesto! Add spinach, arugula, or roasted peppers, then choice of kalamata olives, capers, anchovies or pine nuts. Add garlic and herbs and cheese if using. Sprinkle with olive oil. Repeat with the second ball of dough on a second baking tray.
Set aside for 30-45 minutes, then bake at 450 degrees for about 12-15 minutes making sure that the bases are crisp and the cheese melted. Serve hot.