Stewed Okra and Tomato Recipe
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Makes: 4-6 servings
- ¼ cup Basil Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can whole plum tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped with juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 lb. fresh okra, trimmed and sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander to garnish
In a large skillet, heat Basil Olive Oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and chili and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add tomatoes, ½ cup of their juice, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and then add okra. Stir gently to combine well. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes r until okra is tender. Season to taste with salt & pepper. If sauce is too thick add more tomato juice.
Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve immediately.